Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Peeing Alfresco

Like many little boys, Nathaniel appears to enjoy peeing in the open air. My first hints of this were apparent the day he was born. Apparently, he peed shortly after delivery...though, I did not witness it myself. Later that evening, a nurse took him to the nursery to be weighed. I tagged along, but since I wasn't allowed in the nursery, I watched through the window. The nurse stripped him naked and placed him on the scale. Then she replaced him in his bassinet and started to wipe off the scale...then the floor...and a cabinet...and behind the doors of the cabinet. That's when I became suspicious of what young Nathaniel had done, and the nurse confirmed it. Fortunately, she was amused.

Since we have arrived home, we have relived that event several times. The first was Sunday night when we got home. I was on the phone with my parents when Kristina started making a sound that was a cross between screaming and laughing. He had unloaded and sprayed in all four directions around the changing table. Despite Kristina's precautions (holding the diaper over the line of fire until the last minute), he shot past her defenses.

Our new defense, a washcloth placed over the offending area, only works slightly better. He wiggles a lot in his attempts to free his weapon. Even if we do manage to keep it covered, he'll sometimes fire anyway with a pool of urine forming underneath his bottom...on his clean diaper, the changing pad, his clean clothes, etc.

I won't even get into his other secret weapon, for which we are still trying to establish a successful defense.

One last unrelated thing...today we took Nathaniel for his first doctor's appointment. The doctor asked who he liked best Mommy or Daddy. I think this photo should remove all doubts regarding the correct answer to that question. ;-) Click on the photo if you need a closer look.


Christopher

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The proof is in the shirt. Is that t-shirt mum-approved though? :-)

John C. Jones said...

I recommend a fisherman's slicker with boots and all, it makes the cleanup easier :-).

Christopher and Kristina said...

Not only did mum approve the shirt, she shot the photo...although she wasn't informed of the purpose of said photo. ;-)

Sarah Hart said...

oh my god - he is so cute! and looks so alert already. boys are NOTORIOUS for spraying EVERYWHERE - what a mess. thinking of you all the time kristina! let me know how you're doing when you can steal a minute!