Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Cowboy Rides Away

I can thank a college roommate for my love of George Strait.  I never really paid much attention to George until the summer she won two free tickets to his concert in Oklahoma City.  Somewhere between the mix tape she made me and the concert, I too fell in love with him.  Eventually I lost interest in his music (besides a few gems, most of his music is really just silly), but I always held on to my Strait Out of the Box [box set].   Every now and then I would pull it out- usually when I was feeling homesick or had my heart broken or both- and soothe my soul with some George Strait. 

Since Nathaniel was born, George has reemerged and once again plays a prominent role in my life.  I love singing to Nathaniel (and luckily he loves it back)- but singing only lullabies got old fast.  I realized that I knew a lot of lyrics to old George Strait songs and started rotating songs into my repertoire. My favorite song (and I like singing it at bed time) is The Cowboy Rides Away:



I also love Amarillo By Morning:



Nathaniel enjoys them both, but he really fell in love with George when I started singing Friday Night Fever. It's a lesser known (and very silly) song from 1981. If it were up to Nathaniel, he would just put this song on continuous repeat. I couldn't find a youtube video, but you can listen to a snipit of it on itunes. Check it out: Friday Night Fever

No comments: