Friday, October 17, 2008

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends and Family.

My next installment of the Marathon series focuses on my support crew. If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know what a key role Kristina played in helping me train for the marathon. However, for the actual event, she called in reinforcements. I was lucky enough to have Kristina, my parents, and our friend, Tatiana, out cheering for me. Later on, Ken, a former student, joined the team from a satellite position.

The night before the race, my athletic supporters (sorry, couldn't resist!)...i.e., Mom, Dad and Kristina made signs. Kristina was smart enough to choose a color (blue) that most other people don't use for their signs (usually white or some sort of neon yellow color). I could easily pick them out from the crowd, and I was able to join my "curb crew" with ease.

The signs also came in handy as a source of shade. The temperature was approaching 85 degrees, and there didn't seem to be a cloud in the sky. This photo was taken at Mile 18 as the sun was starting to get to me a bit. Note the sunglasses tan line. The curb crew was always ready with towels to wipe sweat off my face, water to drink and pour on my head, and body glide to help with chafing.

WARNING: The photo below has been deemed by some to be so sweet that diabetics risk going into a coma!

The support crew didn't only provide logistical support. They also gave tons of moral support. I could definitely feel the love out there. Kristina, my rock throughout training, was just as solid on race day, and she made sure I got plenty of kisses. Who needs power gels when you've got those to motivate you?! ;-)

All in all, I saw my main curb crew 3 times (miles 9, 18 and 22.5), and saw Ken twice (miles 22 and 26). It felt good having them out there supporting me, and I always got a boost after seeing them. So, a huge thank you goes out to Kristina, Mom, Dad, Tatiana, and Ken. Click here for more support crew photos

Christopher

No comments: