Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Baby Update

I had a doctor's visit today. I'm nearing my due date (Oct 25) and was hoping that the baby would be arriving soon. Though I am slowly progressing, he doesn't see the baby coming before my due date. In fact, I might not see this baby before November! My next appointment is on Oct 30th, and he said he would probably let me go until November 4th before he would induce me (however, some other recent news might change that). Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I was not prepared for my next bit of shocking news....

I was concerned that I might be leaking amniotic fluid, so he had us go over to the hospital for quick ultrasound. Good news is that everything looks great. We were happy and on a little high from seeing the baby again, when the nurse mentions that according to her measurements the baby weighs 10lbs 10oz. WHAT?!?! Since I don't have gestational diabetes, she wanted to measure the baby again. Second measurements were a bit better (still shocking), but estimates the baby at 10lbs 3oz. They called the doctor and he still wants to wait to see me until Oct 30th.

Now I knew the baby was big, I could feel that, but I never imagined that big. When I got home, I started researching macrosomia (or large baby) right away. There are increased risks to the mother and baby, and research "suggest that induction actually increases the cesarean section rate without favorably altering perinatal outcomes." So, for now, I guess the doctor's plan to wait is the best one. One glimmer of hope- research also shows that ultrasounds don't always accurately predict weight (it can be off 1lb plus/minus). Here hoping for minus!

Christopher's reassuring comment was, "think about it, a third of your weight gain is just baby. When you deliver the baby you will be losing 10lbs right then!" Good try, but I'm still scared.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah - 10 lbs. PLUS the placenta, amniotic fluid, etc - you could lose 15 lbs. immediately! of course, i know that's not exactly what you're concerned w/ at the moment . . .

thinking of you every day - can't wait to hear the good news that he's here!